When you design a website it is easy to forget about your visitor and design it for your own liking. It is important to look at your website through the eyes of your visitors. It has to be aesthetically pleasing to a wide audience.
You don't want people to be turned off within the first few seconds. The purpose of your website is to move visitors to respond. Your goal is for your visitors to stick around and learn more about what you have to offer.
Design a website that is credible
The first impression you make on website visitors could be your last. Visitors will judge the credibility of your website in the first seconds. The first thing visitors will notice is if your website is professional looking. A professional looking website conveys confidence and your visitors will be comfortable staying. Including an about page is important to your credibility. Your website's visitors will be looking for an about page to learn more about you. This is where you can include your story and any details about awards or accolades you have received. Including pictures on your about page also gives a sense of knowing who you are to your visitors. Some other things to consider for a credible website are:
- Regular updates – Make sure your content, contact information and links are updated and current.
- Verifiable information – Be sure that any information you share on your website is from a verifiable source.
- Testimonials – Testimonials from past customers are an easy and excellent way to increase your credibility.
Using color to design a website
Color is a crucial element to website design. Research shows that people make subconscious judgments based on color and have real reactions to color. It is recommended to use a natural pallet of colors. You should also choose two or three colors and use them consistently throughout the website. Some other tips for using color to design a website are:
- Choose colors that are not offensive to your market.
- Use color contrast to define your website.
- Choose colors that are pleasing to your eye.
Design a website that is easy to navigate
When considering the layout of your website be sure to look at it from the perspective of a customer who is visiting your website for the first time. Also include those who have no prior knowledge of the product or service you are offering. Assume that your potential client knows nothing and think about what you want to say to them. The message should be clear and your website must be easy to navigate.
To create a website easy to navigate, it's a good idea to include the following on your website:
- Provide a navigation on your website, preferably at the top of your website
- Give the option to signup for your mailing list
- Include ways for them to get connected to you on social media